Friday, July 13, 2012

Spooooooky....... or not!

Friday the 13th.  Oooooooo!  It is actually my spousal unit's birthday today.  I was thinking it would be funny to meet him at the door in a Jason mask with a machette... but you know, he is armed sometimes so maybe that isn't the best plan I ever had. ;-)

Seriously though.  I really appreciate all of the very kind comments about my Oscar the Grouch post on Wednesday.  I am going to start saving my posts and rereading them a couple of hours later before I post them.  Granted, everyone has a bad day and we all need to vent at times but I realllllly try to live by something my Gramma told me one time.  Okay, several somethings actually but this one is "Always try to be better and nicer than you really are." 

Some people would say "Well that just makes you fake!"  I don't think so.  Can you imagine a world where everyone was trying really hard to be a better person, a nicer, kinder, gentler person than they really are in their heart and mind?  Not to get into detail but my upbringing wasn't the greatest.  Our family put the Dys in Dysfunction.  The only really positive family role models I had that were around often were my maternal grandparents.  I'm surprisingly not screwed up from all of it, but I credit that to my Grandma.  She told me I should use bad examples as well as good examples to know what kind of person I wanted to be.  I'm not that person all the time but I try my dangdest!

Now on to good stuff.  I got squishy mail today!  First I got mail from Richard & Tanya.  He's a brand new and very busy quilter and now his wife is getting in on the action as is his daughter. I recommend you go have a look!  I won two fat quarters from them for their Finish Friday linkies that they do.  My daughter chose these:


Next up, I won a $25 gift certificate from Shabby Fabrics on Sherri's Blog.  If you haven't visited Shabby Fabrics I recommend it!  They have AWESOME fabric and their prices are very good.  I get my fabric from lots of different places and I can see this online store becoming one of my favorites.  Sherri's blog is awesome too, go check her out if you haven't yet. :D


This yellow/aqua/gray fabric will be perfect for the improv blocks I need to make today so I can get them mailed tomorrow!  And look at that, a Jelly Roll of Fa la la la la la la la la... heh!  I think I see even more Granny squares in my future!


And finally, I haven't started working on it yet today since I have to do those improv blocks but here is my progress on the Bukhara Great Granny Squares.  You can find the button for the quilt along on my sidebar.  I think I'm naming this one Sherbet.


Happy Friday everyone!


3 comments:

quiltfool said...

Well, if your family put in the DYS, then mine must have added the FUNC. Somewhere out there, there are at least two other families that contributed TION and AL. Anyway, Wednesday's post was not nearly as bad as you think. Congrats on the squishy's. I need some squishy mail. Be well. Lane

Jamie Lee said...

Oh, I like that. I always tell my daughter, "Sweetness and light." Not sure what that means exactly, but it's what my mom said!

Pen Pen said...

I love your grandma's advice...the world would truly be a better place if we all lived by her words. Your squishy's look like fun....lucky you! Enjoy celebrating hubby's b.day!