Pages

Thursday, October 3, 2013

Cut! Cut! Cut!

No, I'm not making a movie.  I have been cutting fabric today but that is not what I'm cutting.  I'm cutting expenses. I cancelled the newspaper subscription and downgraded the internet connection.  The first of two money saving measures I can take in coming days should they be needed.

My spouse might be on strike after the 13th, in fact he is pretty sure it will come to that, this time.  He almost made it more than 20 years in this industry, as a union employee, without going on strike.

I can remember growing up, my dad belonged to a union of lumber workers and it seems like they were on strike about every other contract negotiation so in my mind we've been pretty lucky that the hubs hasn't ever been on strike before.  

And the second hit was when the youngest came home today and said "I'm getting laid off after the 9th so I have to start my continuing education classes as soon after that as I can."

So, with one guy going to be unemployed and the main guy maybe going to be unemployed for some amount of time my focus has changed.  I've been job hunting, but I've also been sewing for my Etsy shop.  So far one mini quilt is done and listed and another is at the hand stitching the binding stage.  I cheated and pulled out some things that were already almost done and just finished them up.  I have several more small projects started that I'm going to be digging out and finishing up to get listed then I'll finish the three large quilts that I had planned to put in the Etsy shop and get them listed as well.  Here's the finish for today.



It is a cute little Star quilt.  19 inches by 21 inches.
October Finishes

1 comment:

Michele said...

I'm so sorry that you guys are going through this. I'm sure it won't be easy. Try to keep your chin up and rant anytime you need to.